Thursday, August 11, 2011

Odds and Ends

    Good morrow ladies and gentlemen!  Here I am again sitting in my favorite corner in Starbucks with my laptop bringing you another entry on this bright, and somewhat more comfortable, Thursday.  Things are starting to take off for me here as we move into the end of the week and as we move into the last week before the school year starts, thought I'd take a few minutes to type up whatever pops into my head dealing with these events.
    First off, my class I had to take on food safety is now complete!  It was two 8 hour days covering 15 chapters of food safety with a 90 question exam yesterday to cap things off.  The class was fun, the exam was not.  The wording on the questions was a little shady and a few of the answers had answers differentiated by things like 5 seconds here, or 5 degrees there.  I am allowed to miss up to 10 so I'm fingers crossed here waiting for the score.  I honestly couldn't say either way if I hit the target or not.  If I didn't, no biggie, I just go back and take it again but I'd rather just do it once!  I was one of, if not the youngest person in the class.  A lot of the folks in there had kids my age or kids about to be 8 or 9 years old.  They look at me and I say "well I have a nephew" haha.  I'm just thinking of my age as a factor, not an excuse, if I make any mistakes really.  Things dealing with the behind the scenes work that goes into making the store run smoothly.  I am going to make mistakes for sure, but I am getting better and looking at mistakes as learning opportunities.  I hardly ever make a mistake twice, if I get corrected on something and I see it as legitimate instead of a personal preference that the person correcting me wants more control then I correct it right away and never make the mistake again.  My mind really is like a sponge that never gets fully saturated, I am always looking for more books on topics I know but not as well as I can.  Lately I've been splitting time between Psychology, management, and communication of all kinds.
     Next off, as I think I've mentioned many times before, Boiler Gold Rush is upcoming!  This week long orientation is the start of the school year for me.  All the incoming Freshmen (largest incoming class in a long while from what I heard) show up a week before classes start to move into their dorms and do a lot of activities with their BGR teams made up of people from their dorm.  I think it's neat that you are not put in the same team as your room mate, it's always a mix of guy and girl from different floors and all that.  I remember my BGR week like it was yesterday, I still keep in contact with one of my group members whenever I can as well.  The activities are fun and you get to meet a lot of new people that live close so you can have a pre-made social group for the rest of the year!  A shared experience like BGR week really ties people together.  For me, however, as a full time employee now, this is a notoriously busy week for Starbucks.  My store is tucked away in a corner of the Student Union building, one entrance and one exit.  Thousands of Freshmen walk through this building just about every day and they all have money for coffee!  Experience really does pay off big time in this case.  In the past I was a go to worker for BGR week.  A perennial volunteer for coming back to campus a little early to work these days.  I realize now it is just who I am as a person.  I really do feed off the energy around me and there are few atmospheres that compare to a college campus during a week like this.  Other people here in the Union, again, are muttering under their breath and are getting a little on edge about BGR week.  I am telling everyone I can how pumped I am for it!  Eventually people will pick up on that energy and hopefully run with it.
     Well that really covers everything I wanted to discuss off hand.  I really do believe to work at a store like this is a really unique opportunity that keeps you young.  However, people need a special kind of personality to be here and really enjoy being here doing what we do.  I am taking it upon myself to lead by example.  This store developed a bit of a tense, negative vibe since I've been gone.  It is my intention to turn that into a fun, positive one!  The best way to do that you might ask?  I'm gonna be who I am ;)  Take it easy guys, I'm going to grab another coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment