That's right everyone! Boiler Gold Rush has officially begun! I am sitting here on my second of two days off at the Starbucks on campus as usual. It is not incredibly crowded yet but all the Freshmen are still learning that there is actually a Starbucks here! It has been a lot of fun being on campus though regardless. I worked this most recent weekend when people were actually just starting to move in so I worked with a couple other guys here to learn where all the new students were from and where they were staying their first semester here. We got them talking, got them opening up and hopefully eased their nervous feelings for the time being. I want to keep that going this entire week and, if I can help it, the whole first year! I want people to feel welcome and valued here at this store. They can use this place as an escape from the demands of a tough school. I really do want the new students to feel when they come into this store they are coming here to be with friends if only for a couple hours out of a busy day.
Other than that I have been trying to piece together a new social group to hang out with here on campus myself. I am very slowly getting a feel for who is here on campus still that I know from the past but now I am also starting to add some new people that are willing to join the group. So it is happening, it is just taking a while as I expected. I took a trip down to Chauncey the other night around 11:30, Chauncey is where all the pubs and bars are here near campus, and walked around a bit. Imagine what a relief it was for me to see so many freakin' people walking around! After a month of feeling like I lived in a ghost town I can see signs of life as people start moving back this week. I can use this week as a scouting opportunity, I want to see which bars are busiest on which day of the week and what general time. At any moment I can discern where the hot spots are and when a good time to go would be. More than half of a successful night out is knowing where to go and when!
Lastly I wanted to say something finally clicked for me the other night. All these books on connecting with people I have read by John Maxwell had a basic point that was repeated over and over. Connecting is all about others and to connect with them you have to go where they are. I read that over and over and it didn't click until last night on the phone with my cousin that it means I literally need to go to the people I want to connect with. For instance, I have been waiting for people from Indianapolis, and counting on them, to come and visit me all the time. Where I went wrong was expecting people to come to me and now that I really bought into this point it seems obvious. I need to go to Indianapolis to meet the people I want to connect with! This is why the secondary point was made: Connecting takes energy. Connecting with these people I speak of is, just for me personally, a very important goal. I place very high priority on my relationships so now that I am making money and I'm ideally placed in the state I can do something about it. Why not foot the bill for gas and all that if I get to spend time with those most important in my life. Connecting is all about others and to connect you have to go to where they are. It finally makes sense to me ladies and gentlemen. It's time to make things happen. Have a good one guys, I'm going back to my coffee and music!
No comments:
Post a Comment