Friday, August 5, 2011

Mid Day Starbucks Run

      Well I decided to shake things up a bit today ladies and gentlemen.  I dusted off the laptop and ran into Starbucks here at the Union today, I am there writing this entry right now.  I needed to run in here anyway to pick up my new parking pass!  I can now park in the garage anytime I want here next to campus and instead of paying 10 bucks a day I just swipe this pass to get out!  I also did some other things for work here like take a certification for credit card transactions and whatnot.  I also took a little time and enrolled in my benefits real quick.  Easy to do because it's all online and I can always go back and change things later if I need to.  I am pretty dumb when it comes to picking these benefits.  I went ahead and picked all the employee only options that were not the most expensive but not cheapest out of paycheck.  I figure that'll be just fine for a guy that is rarely sick.
      Now I am here about to see if I can work my magic and get a free coffee while I type this.  Other than that I really don't have a whole lot going on today.  I felt like I slept in way too long but when I looked at the clock it was only 10:30am.  One of those special kind of days I suppose?  There were a couple other things on my mind that I also wanted to talk about.
    First off is the upcoming bachelor party for my cousin Mike.  This isn't until October but never too early to think about.  I already have the day off from work confirmed (as well as the days for the rehearsal dinner and wedding itself) so that's a big question answered.  Looks like I'm working that Friday and then possibly bookin' it to Indy afterwards or just really early the next day.  I haven't decided if I'm doing the golf thing.  I'd mean I'd love to but I am nowhere near the skill level of the guys that are playing so it wouldn't be that stress free haha.  However it does look like it's all hands on deck for paintballing later that day.  I've never done it but I hear people speak to my abilities as a strategist which might help a bit.  When all hell breaks loose I doubt my strategy will be put to effect!  That's the point though, just chaos and having fun so no worries.  After that I think the gang is getting changed and ready to hit the bars in Indy.  This is where it gets tricky for me.  It all depends on when I work Sunday.  If I don't work until 4pm like I think is the case then I can stick around late that night.  If I have to work earlier then I might have to bow out early on.  Again, no matter what happens I will be there in attendance and it will be a wicked good time!
     The other thing I wanted to talk a bit about is the general excitement of the school year creeping closer.  One thing you'll notice if you talk with employees of the Union building here at Purdue about the school year coming up they will tell you horror stories about the never ending lines and all that.  Don't listen to them, talk to me.  I'll tell you that it is an amazing time getting to know the incoming students, borrow some of their energy from being away from home the first time, and get to help ease their homesickness.  I remember very well what it was like my Freshman year and I can finally be a major impact on these new students' time here.  At orientation they touched on this fact quite a bit.  Not only is it my job and responsibility to make sure operations at the store go smoothly and everyone works well together, it is also a secondary objective to teach new students and employees to the University things that helped me as a student.  I want to help them succeed at work and in all social aspects of being here at Purdue.  My 5 years of experience should be teaching tools to help these kids out as much as possible.  I thought that was really cool, you never know if you are the one and only person keeping any particular student going.  I look at things that way with any of my customers at Starbucks as well, corporate stores taught me that.  A customer's interaction with me might possibly be the first or even the only social interaction face to face for their entire day!  I respect that power that every partner at Starbucks has, the power to brighten every single person's day and help them get out of bed every day to go do their job which is just as important as ours.  To work at Starbucks is a unique chance in this way.  We really are in the business of people, we just happen to serve coffee.  I have to go enjoy the rest of this coffee and maybe get another now!  Have a good one ladies and gentlmen!

No comments:

Post a Comment