Friday, August 31, 2012

Shooting Star

      I'm back ladies and gentlemen, after a long hiatus during which I have completed one year in my first leadership position at work, been in my first car accident (and subsequently went car shopping for the first time), got a new phone, and got a new apartment!  So much so cover that I would not try to cram it all into this one entry, it would not do any of it justice.  So let's just say that I'm back, and I'm still kickin'.  Oh an apologies for the cheesy title of the entry, Owl City (my favorite musical artist) released a new album recently and there is always one song on each album that does something to me deep down, changes me for the better and keeps me reaching for everything I dream of doing and everywhere I dream of going and the song on this album that connected with me was Shooting Star!
     First of all, as many of you may be wondering, I am completely fine after that car accident I spoke of.  It was a dangerous merge onto a fast paced road (where it is customary to go 10mph over the limit) and a big Mack truck in front of me started to merge but then had to jam the break to avoid one of said speedsters and I crunched the front of my '95 Park Avenue on the back end of the truck.  I saw him start to go and then looked back to make sure it was clear for me to merge, when I looked back he hadn't gone after all!  Oops!  Luckily he actually felt that my car hit his truck, there was barely a scratch on the Mack, my Park Avenue looked a lot worse than I felt the accident was.  After a week or two of walking the route to work I went car shopping with my Dad and lucked out by finding a fantastic '05 Chevy Malibu with barely 36,000 miles on it!  Luckily my Dad was with me that day, I can't imagine my first time dealing with credit checks, auto loans, and going dealership to dealership having to be done all on my own!  The Malibu has been amazing and not just because it was the first car I ever picked out on my own.  It had the best parts of every car I was looking at, had the low miles, and it was at a monthly payment I can afford!  
      Since that day I have been second guessing myself driving, I am still a little nervous but I am getting back to where I used to be.  I have much more to focus on of a more positive nature than driving anxiety.  Things at work have been going very well indeed since the last entries I wrote to you.  I have never stopped reading books on leadership and people skills and I continue to relate everything I read in those books to how I can put the lessons into effect at my own personal store. I was told I may be the best trainer they've ever had at this Starbucks at Purdue and I never have to pull rank to get people to do things.  Off the clock people still come right on up to me (even though there are student supervisors working at the time) and ask my input which I gladly give.  I take it as a good sign that people trust me enough to come up to me when I'm not working for information instead of only when they work with me.  The District Manager (or my boss' boss if you like) on multiple occasions said I am ready to be a manager at my own Starbucks.  The most recent visit we discussed leadership and how I like to do things on my shifts, she asked my input on the remodel, then she asked me to let her know if there was anything she could do to keep me at this store just a little longer because they are lucky to have me.  Imagine how that made me feel.  That kind of talk keeps someone like me going for a long while!  I did mention my loyalty to this store with extend through the remodel of the store to make sure they get off to a good start.  I also said I had my eye on moving to Florida, the gulf side, to work as a manager at a store or assistant manager if need be.  The DM told me to keep in touch and she would do everything she can when that time comes to see if we can get me down there to Florida (it's been a dream to live in Florida since I was 13 and first visited).  
      Other than that I fill my time continuing to write various things, plan get togethers for co workers to meet outside of work to build relationships with the team (got one coming up on the 8th that already has 6 or so people signed on) and visiting with the alumni and serving crew at Harry's once a week (big change from way back when I first came back to campus in terms of how many people I knew.  Might be worth going back to that first entry to read about how nervous I was to come back and not know more than 3 people and not sure if I could handle the new leadership role I was taking on!).
     I am currently enjoying a coffee or two here at the store whilst awaiting the rain to start, which I think is supposed to last two or three days!  That should make the first football game of the season interesting for everyone tomorrow!  I am working 9:30am to 6pm tomorrow and 7am to 3:30pm Sunday but then a paid day off Monday!  This work week, between the rain, football starting again, the wacky schedule, and this new Owl City song should be something to keep life interesting as always!  Not to mention it'll be nice to have a payday Wednesday where I can actually begin to put some money away for fun and savings (first time I can do that since moving in early July!)  If anyone is still left reading these and are still interested, it's good to be back and to have people following me again.  Let's make this next year something out of the ordinary and special.  I'll be chasing my dreams no matter how childish and out of reach they may seem.  When you're ready to do the same, I'll be right there ready to help!  Have a great evening ladies and gentlemen!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment