Well guys here I am back at Blogger! I know it's been a while but I've been taking time to really concentrate on getting better in my supervisor position. The last couple months have proven most invaluable in those terms! Whereas before I was always concerned with everyone liking me and all the decisions I made, I am now suggesting exactly what I think is the right thing to do, putting people where I feel is best for the team that day, and not caring as much if they like the decision or not. Might sound bad but that's really the only way to put it. I guess, long story short, I am many times more comfortable in my supervisor shoes now. More assertive and decisive in my decision making but still maintaining my calm exterior and still treating everyone in a pleasant manner. When problems arise I handle them quickly and efficiently and when I have problems with any type of behavior from the workers I am quick to address it (but still in private or in a low volume with the exact person. I still believe in not disciplining people in public, only praising in public).
But Jon, I can hear you shout, what have you been up to other than that? I am tired of hearing about how awesome you are at your job! Well, I would say back, I have been working on getting out into public view and meeting new people. It was back in October I decided to do something different on my first day off of the weekend. I chose a hangout spot to visit regularly and meet people. Firstly, I wanted it to be a place not everyone could go which eliminated a lot of options and made my decision easier. Secondly, I wanted it to be close to everywhere I needed to go during the day (or wanted to go is a better term because my days off I don't need to go anywhere!). Lastly, I wanted it to be a place where I could have something in common with most everyone there. Well my Purdue friends may know that place already. I chose Harry's! It is a fairly small bar here on campus right across the street from work. During the night it is usually packed but when I go there is dramatically fewer people. Those who actually are there are Alum from Purdue so there's networking opportunities right there. Going there at odd times gave me a chance to not feel like a sardine and gave me the chance to get to know the serving crew and bartenders as well as the regulars. Well I am happy to say not only do I not do a lot of drinking (most days I just have one Corona) but everyone there from regulars to the serving crew know my name and what I drink and I am becoming pretty good friends with all of them! Mission accomplished.
What's next for me though? I am currently saving up money for a safety net come July when I switch apartments. I have a line on a nice one bedroom apartment with a pool just 4 minutes longer of a commute than what I have now. I am also saving up money and vacation time to take a trip. I want to travel still! There are so many places I want to vacation to but haven't had the chance. With the setup I have now with this full time job I can finally do it, just need to be patient! First trip is starting to look more and more like visiting Mike and Mandy in California! (Congratulations you two on finding an apartment and having remarkable success adapting to your new jobs and commute, I really am amazed at how quickly you both adjusted!) I think that's all I have to talk about for this entry. I will attempt to get back into writing regular entries now that I am more comfortable with my job and daily routine. As an added bonus, we are moving out of February and closer to Spring and warmer, brighter weather. This is the beginning of the time of year where my Seasonal Affective tendencies start to melt away :) Take it easy ladies and gentlemen and, once again and as always, thanks for reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment