First of all there is always nervousness. A new job, more responsibility, new place to live, new coworkers, etc. but I have been keeping my head above water using logic. I feel like I am ready to go and I'm now switching from anxiety to excitement. One by one I started taking the things from my list of worries and talking them out with various people I feel could help me ease the worry. Here this evening I checked off the final issue. The biggest worry I had was making sure my income was enough to cover expenses. I went to various sites that help show you what your paycheck will be after taxes and I also talked to someone who made less than me with more expenses that was just fine. I think I'll be alright! I was worried then about the commute to work. Not so much what route I will take (the route is an insanely short drive) but about parking when I got to work. I thought through how much per check I'm making and I figured I could spare the $12.50 deduction per check for a parking permit. I believe this permit will allow me to park in the parking garage across the street from work (and just up the hill from where I will be having most of my fun after work) which would normally cost 10 bucks a day. Think about that number, after one day at work the deduction from my check would already be worth it!
Let's think about after this first month is over. At the end of August, once I prove all of the above to be sound logic and very do-able I can start the saving process and I can begin to understand where I can cut back in spending and where I can add a little. Once I get to that point I will have a solid grasp of the new job, I'll be on a regular full time schedule (exact same shifts every week which is a big deal to me), and I will know who all I have left in this town for my posse. I can't imagine, and I don't think anyone else can either, how relaxed I will be at that point and how good I will feel! The next stage then would be to start looking at the occasional vacation. My list of places I have been discussing with people has about tripled in size by the way.
I think right now I just need to keep relaxing and make sure I am well rested. This first week, at least first half, is a lot of orientation and not a lot of the work I'm used to. From what I understand tomorrow morning I take care of getting that parking permit, meet and greet some of the other employees of the Union Dining Services, and hopefully get direct deposit squared away. After that (which is supposed to take all morning) I will head to the store and get back behind that counter with my co workers where I should be! We'll just go from there shall we? Wish me luck gang.
No comments:
Post a Comment