As I sit here ready to order another coffee my thoughts turn to my continuing studies on the topic of Communication. True I already have a Bachelor's degree from Purdue on the subject but I don't know nearly as much as I want to! I have become very good about taking a book with me every place I go that I might have even five minutes of free time to read. These books turned from fiction and became self improvement books. Most of the books I am re-reading deal with people skills. I just sat here this morning and read an entire book on becoming a better conversationalist! I realize more and more that these books are good to share with others but unless I actually take the information in them and start practicing them I will not be any better than I am today. For example, I have an immense amount of trouble initiating conversation with strangers whom I'd like to get to know better. I read tips in most of these books on how to go about doing just that but I still have not been able to bring myself to try them out! Perhaps my problem lies in the fact I am looking at the end result right away? I should instead work up to initiating conversation. Another example, I see people every single day walking down hallways and all around campus so perhaps to start out I should make eye contact (which is a big problem of mine) with ten of them and then work up to eye contact and smiling. Eventually I can go up and start talking with them. Sometimes you have to crawl before you can walk right?
In other news work has been going well as of late. A new supervisor has been hired for the day shifts so that will take a little weight off my shoulders eventually. I have even more responsibility for a while, though, teaching him the basics of making drinks and whatnot. There are days when I feel like my delegation skills are a little off target or sloppy but there are also days (such as Saturday) where I feel I nail it and things run smoothly and I also teach four or five people at the same time during a rush how to make drinks or what jobs need done and how to do them. Also, I am getting more comfortable telling people, when it's a point I feel is important to be followed, they need to follow my instruction. Not in a mean way, but assertively, I let them know they can voice their opinion and argue the point and I'll gladly listen and respond but when the final decision has to be made I am the supervisor and what I say goes. There have been moments the last week where the decision I made was not popular and was argued by employees but I stuck to my guns and, in time, was proven wise. Six years of experience counts for a lot here and if my gut tells me to make this decision or that decision it is almost always correct. Long story short, I am gaining confidence in my authority and abilities quite rapidly now.
That's really all I have to talk about today, I have been a little bad at making consistent entries but I have not forgotten about it completely! Thanks for reading and, as always, have a great day ladies and gentlemen!
No comments:
Post a Comment